Thursday, October 16, 2008

We made it back

10/16/08 Thursday
We made it back. What a trip this has been. We never sat still as we tried our best to see as many people and get as much done as we could in the short time we were there. It didn’t take us long to see there was no way we could get it all done in the time we had allotted to be there so we extended everything by a day. It would have been two days but we didn’t pack enough extra medicine so kept it one day. Even that wasn’t enough. Things went smoothly coming back until the last leg from Dallas to Midland. The plane we were to take broke down in Houston so didn’t make it. They found another one but couldn’t find a pilot so had to call a flight crew in. they couldn’t make it in till the flight was two hours overdue. That kept us from picking up Rascal and Trixie because the kennel closed at six and we didn’t get there till 6:30. Plus the tire was nearly flat on Cherie’s car that we had left in the long term parking lot. Parking cost $25.00 for the week, not as bad as we thought it would be.

It sure felt good to be home, to see familiar sights and smell the oil. Driving to the house you could feel the tension as we got closer and closer. It wasn’t bad tension. We both wondered what we would find and longed to lay in our bed and just conk out so there was worrying and longing mixed in that tension. Pulling in the drive we were greeted by all three of the strays, Ben, Gretchen, and Scooter. It was good to see they survived the week and they expressed how happy they were that we came back and didn’t abandon them. They were out of food so were quite hungry. Mark had stopped and checked on them for us but we didn’t have any extra food so they may have been out a couple of days. We discovered that Gretchen had gone into heat while we were gone so odds are she will be having puppies. It’s a shame we couldn’t afford to get her or Ben fixed before this happened.

The cats were fine in the house though they got into everything they could while we were absent. What a mess that is. Unfortunately Carman Kitty got into something so we had to take him to the vet this morning. She said it looked like an allergic reaction of some type. Carman was fine last night but in bad shape this morning. The vet gave him shots and will keep him overnight.

We picked up Rascal and Trixie this morning as well. Boy were they happy to see us and we were just as happy to see them. They are our babies you know. Right now Rascal is on the bed sleeping as I write this. Trixie is somewhere sleeping too. They got as much rest over the week as we did, not much. The lady at the kennel said both of them never quit barking and weren’t very friendly. That’s a shame as we hoped being in the kennel would help them become more social. Oh well.

There is so much to do we don’t know where to start. When we got home we found two boxes sent by K’s Chimney to replace the wrong parts they sent before. Both boxes contained the wrong parts again. One of them was sent overnight air. I called them about it but don’t have much confidence in them at the moment. Next Saturday we are having a gang of folks out to help work and fix things around this house and farm. Fixing the chimney is a big part of that but can’t be done without the right parts. I hope they can get it together.

That’s it for now. There is much I need to record about our visit home but we are both wiped and have much to do so that will have to wait. Just thought y’all would like to know we made it back.

No comments: