Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Like a little child

Here you can see sand that blew in through the door. This is a regular problem.

3/23/11 Wednesday
It’s going to be a beautiful day. No wind in the forecast. That’s good because I’m still getting sand out of every orifice and there’s lots of it around the house that blew in through any crack or crevice it could find. You’d think, after five years, we’d be used to this. We know it’s coming but it will always be a pain. Sand, sand, everywhere sand. In the hair, in the eyes, in my ears, in my teeth, and sometimes in the food. The food we can protect better as everything’s wrapped up and stored in airtight containers, we just have to rinse clean dishes and cups before we use them because even in the cupboards this fine sand dust creeps.

Yesterday ended up being a very interesting day. The widow returned my call, letting me know she was home, so I stopped peeling the filters out of our air unit and headed out there. Had to gather some horse manure first and get the tomato plant we had bought for her because I was going to plant the tomato in the upside down thing she had. Right after I got off the phone with Geneva Cherie called. She had gotten off work a half hour early so when I told her I was going to Geneva’s to plant the tomato she agreed to meet me there.

It is always a blessing to visit with her. The reason I identify her as “The widow” is because it not only helps protect her identity but also for other reasons. I believe my life should be an example, should mirror the principles found in the bible. In our world the elderly are often neglected. We’ve seen many who have been parked in nursing homes and left there, getting only rare visits from family, if they get visits at all. The book of James says “Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.”

Of all the people in the world, God’s heart goes out the most to the ones who have the least. I’ve heard a pastor, from the pulpit, mocking, making fun of, and belittling, those who didn’t conform to whatever standard the pastor had for acceptance. It bothered my heart deeply but made me examine myself, to see if I had any of those judgmental attitudes in me.

In Mathew 18 Jesus spelled it out pretty plainly. 1 At that time the disciples came to Jesus and asked, "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" 2 He called a little child and had him stand among them. 3 And he said: "I tell you the truth, unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. 4 Therefore, whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. 5 "And whoever welcomes a little child like this in my name welcomes me.

One of the things I’ve learned is that in the original Greek Jesus referred to one of the little children he presented as an example as a “Ta” child. The word “Ta” is one used when talking about the children who were less than others, who had been born with some kind of disability like Down’s Syndrome. These children were considered trash in that society and were often used as slaves for the amusement of wealthy Roman’s and others with means. They were demeaned, abused, and often treated worse than dogs.
You can just see Rascal racing along the top of the ridge, with Trixie much closer to me.

But this is who Jesus presented as our example, as what we should strive to be like. It wasn’t just someone’s healthy baby, the kind of child that we all love to love, it was the one that was less than beautiful, that had obvious flaws and problems. I’ve seen children that reminded me of a dog that had been beaten too much, that ducked when you raised your hand and cowered, longing for acceptance and love. It stirred up an anger in me, anger at whatever circumstance created this, but it stirs up my heart and a desire to love, heal, and comfort.

This is God’s love for us all, and especially for those who are looked down on by the ones who think they are so much better than others. Of all the sins, pride is the worst for it is pride that is at the root of all the others. It was pride that caused the fall of Lucifer in the first place and pride he used to tempt Adam and Eve. Pride, once allowed in, grows like a cancer, warping and perverting everything it touches, all the while disguised so as to be hidden and hard to recognize. Pay attention to verse 5 in this next scripture.

1 Peter 5:2 Be shepherds of God's flock that is under your care, serving as overseers--not because you must, but because you are willing, as God wants you to be; not greedy for money, but eager to serve; 3 not lording it over those entrusted to you, but being examples to the flock. 4 And when the Chief Shepherd appears, you will receive the crown of glory that will never fade away. 5 Young men, in the same way be submissive to those who are older. All of you, clothe yourselves with humility toward one another, because, "God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble." 6 Humble yourselves, therefore, under God's mighty hand, that he may lift you up in due time.

I’ve got to go. Lots of work to do but I feel so compelled to speak of these things, to present God and His principles on life. I always must cut these short and always regret doing it. But I am the Lord’s. He raised me from the dead and restored my life for this reason. I suppose I am a shepherd but am not sure where my flock may be. In a way I am a voice crying in the wilderness, speaking the truths I know and have been shown, saying “Make ready the way of the Lord” for I know the last days are here. We’ll end with the rest of what Jesus said in that scripture in Mathew 18 I started out with.

10 "See that you do not look down on one of these little ones. For I tell you that their angels in heaven always see the face of my Father in heaven. 12 "What do you think? If a man owns a hundred sheep, and one of them wanders away, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go to look for the one that wandered off ? 13 And if he finds it, I tell you the truth, he is happier about that one sheep than about the ninety-nine that did not wander off. 14 In the same way your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should be lost.

Remember, it doesn’t matter how bad you’ve been, or how far down a wrong road you’ve gone, for God loves you and is always waiting, holding His hand out, ready to forgive the moment you truly repent.
========================================================================

When I went to post this I saw that, after going into an unintended bible lesson, I forgot to write about the rest of the day, what made it so interesting. Cherie and I spent a couple of hours with the widow, hearing about the ED children she cares for with the school system among other things. It breaks our hearts to hear of these children’s lives, of the problems they must overcome and in some cases of the surrounding reasons that cause the problems. We pray for them with her and pray for wisdom in her words, that she speaks what the children need to hear, and perhaps the parents too, though she is not in a position to speak with them. She also works with the court system for supervised visitations of parents and children, another area of deep need. There are generations of children being raised with out God or any other system of morality, and we will be bearing the fruit of that soon enough.

While there I got a phone call from a friend we haven’t seen in a while. He said I’d been on his mind for days, I just kept popping up in his mind. They have an issue with some furniture that had been custom built for them and, knowing I have a background in woodworking and am a wood carver asked if I’d look at it when I was in town next. I explained we were in town now so we decided to stop by on the way home.

Looking at the furniture I made some suggestions on how I could fix it. The idea was better than what they had been thinking so next was “How much do you want to fix it?”. My reply is one that is hard for some to accept, they are not used to it. “Let me do the work and just pay me what you want” was my answer. I’m really not worried about it because I have a deep trust that no matter what, God will take care of us. It made them more comfortable to settle on an hourly rate so we did that, after I explained that I would do it for free if they asked me.

From there we got into some great conversations. We spoke about Islamic threats, bible prophecy, food shortages, and the farm. It was late, for us cause we go to bed early, so we had to resist sitting down and making a night of it. Jay plans on introducing me to some friends, who are influential and successful businessmen, with the hope of finding some work I can do to earn the funds we need for the farm.

I ended the conversation by telling Jay “There are no accidents in my life. God’s hand is on me so everything happens for a reason. You watch and see, it was no accident that I was on your mind so God is putting something together, and it’s more than me fixing your furniture”. So, y’all can watch with me and we can all find out what God does together. I don’t have a clue but know that something is up.

See ya
Here you can see some of the slow accomplishment of my vision. This used to be full of tumbleweeds and other trash. Now, after several tries, there is grass and windbreak trees growing. With care the grass will cover the area and stop the constant erosion. I can picture it in my mind complete, like I picture apple orchards and so much else that is planned.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Psalm 84 (New King James Version)

To the Chief Musician. On an instrument of Gath.[a] A Psalm of the sons of Korah.
1 How lovely is Your tabernacle,
O LORD of hosts!
2 My soul longs, yes, even faints
For the courts of the LORD;
My heart and my flesh cry out for the living God.

3 Even the sparrow has found a home,
And the swallow a nest for herself,
Where she may lay her young—
Even Your altars, O LORD of hosts,
My King and my God.
4 Blessed are those who dwell in Your house;
They will still be praising You. Selah

5 Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,
Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.
6 As they pass through the Valley of Baca,
They make it a spring;
The rain also covers it with pools.
7 They go from strength to strength;
Each one appears before God in Zion.[b]

8 O LORD God of hosts, hear my prayer;
Give ear, O God of Jacob! Selah
9 O God, behold our shield,
And look upon the face of Your anointed.

10 For a day in Your courts is better than a thousand.
I would rather be a doorkeeper in the house of my God
Than dwell in the tents of wickedness.
11 For the LORD God is a sun and shield;
The LORD will give grace and glory;
No good thing will He withhold
From those who walk uprightly.

12 O LORD of hosts,
Blessed is the man who trusts in You!

Bob Westbrook said...

Nice, always fresh no matter how often I read it.