Friday, June 04, 2010

Tearing down a barn

It's not really a barn but it's a lot of work and all welded steel so tough to take down.

6/4/10 Friday
This will be short. Went to tear down the barn yesterday and it was a long day. The small oxy/acetylene torch set up I borrowed only lasts thirty minutes before it runs out. Nuts. We didn’t know where to fill these tanks in Odessa so I ended up driving back to Midland. Considering that we had only done ten percent of the job before I ran out of gas it looked like I would be spending $230 replacing the little bottles ten times with the associated time and miles too. Yesterday I put two hundred miles on the truck with only one bottle replacement run. Talking to the Airgas guy he said that the large bottles would only cost $70 bucks and hold way more gas so that I would not come close to using it up. Oh well, I do the best I can with what I’ve got.

We weren’t well prepared yesterday. I didn’t have all the tools needed nor the gas for the portable generator we took to run electric tools with. After running out of torch gas I went and bought a reciprocating saw but we ran out of gas for the generator. We worked from 7:30 in the morning till 7:00 that night. I was beat and we didn’t get a lot done, or at least not as much as I had hoped.

Hopefully this will be a better day. Got to get going cause it’s going to be a hundred plus degrees. Had a bad slowdown this morning but it's past now

No comments: