Monday, February 15, 2010

Interesting start

It was a cold morning, in the teens, but when I saw this sunrise I had to go out and take some pictures. So I flung on a t-shirt some sweats and a pair of shoes to capture it before it was gone. I'm sure those driving by thought I was nuts but that's probably common knowledge by now


2/15/10 Monday
It’s been an interesting start for the day. This morning I opened the bible to find a scripture to read to Cherie before we prayed and found it was at 2Peter chapter 2. It talks about false teachers, how they will introduce destructive heresies and follow their sensuality, causing the “way of truth” to be maligned. They will exploit you, it says, in their greed with false words. “They count it pleasure to revel in the daytime” and “having eyes full of adultery that never cease from sin, enticing unstable souls, having a heart trained in greed. Ok, that wasn’t the uplifting scripture I wanted but the truth is the truth. After Cherie left for work I once again opened the bible and this time came to 1 Timothy chapter 6. Once again it talked about false teachers, describing those who have a “morbid interest” in controversial questions and disputes about words, who suppose that Godliness is a means of gain. This section contains a favorite scripture of mine where it says “For we have brought nothing into this world and can take nothing out of it either. If we have food and covering, with these we shall be content. But those who want to get rich fall into temptation and a snare and many foolish and harmful desires which plunge men into ruin and destruction”.

So with that I started my day. After praying some more I called the director of the ministry that helps those getting out of prison and arranged a time to meet him later this morning. Pulling into the place the only person I saw was working to build a garden so I went over to see if the director was in and if so what door I should use to find him. He wasn’t there yet so I started talking with the guy. He’s been in prison for fourteen years, quite a long time. But he has a gentle spirit and I was comfortable with him. Come to find out he has a great interest in gardening and had subscribed to Mother Earth News while in prison. So I think he’s the one I’ll hire. When I brought that up he was happy and perhaps even eager about it. For someone who has been locked away for that long the outside world is a scary place for sure. The more I talked with him the more I liked him and I could see a wisdom in his decisions to not return to the city he’s from, where temptations and friends from old lifestyles are, and to come to this ministry where he can get the guidance and emotional support he needs. So we’ll see. First I must call his parole officer and make sure it’s ok.

The director showed up while I was talking to the guy so I went in to talk to him. We talked for a bit and discussed ways I can be involved. I’ll start attending a bible study to get acquainted with things and kind of feel the situation out. Then I sat in the living room area and struck up a conversation with a guy. Boy, was he something. A little bit out in left field for me and has developed quite a theology while in prison, and evidently before as he said he had belonged to a cult. This guy sure fit the description I had just read in First Timothy and was uncomfortable to talk with. But I did well and told him that the important thing is to keep our focus on Jesus and the fact that He died in our place because He loves us. So I think now that it was no accident that I opened the bible to where I did.

Anyway, it’s 2:38 and I’m tired with that mental fatigue thing I must fight. But it’s beautiful out and there’s work to do. I grabbed something to eat out of the fridge. I feel a need to take a nap but don’t want to. But experience has shown me that laying down for an hour at times like this refresh me greatly so I’ll let the dogs in so they can lay next to me as they so enjoy doing. The ears are ringing, always hate that. Hope it’s not a slow down but enjoyed being sharp this morning.

3 comments:

David W. Voyles said...

That seems like all the prosperity preachers want to talk about. I got fed up with the nonsense and wrote a book titled; A Shepherd's Trial: Feeding or Fleecing the Flock of God? It is an attempt to identify the false doctrines in the church and rebuke the greedy pastors. I am hoping that people will buy this book and send it to these preacher's doorstep to let them know that the congregation is not going to take this nonsense any more. You can get a copy at: http://www.strategicpublishinggroup.com/title/AShepherdsTrial-FeedingOfFleecingTheFlockOfGod.html

Bob Westbrook said...

Dave, i believe there needs to be lots of things exposed but I'm not keen on my site being used to sell products. However I'll leave your link up for now till I check out what it is. Bothers me that clicking on your name tells me you don't have a public profile. I'm uncomfortable with the anonymity.

Bob Westbrook said...

OK, Checked you out. Ya meet my approval, not that it's worth much but it's my blog. So you do prison ministry. Drop me an email, we should talk. bobcarver2@yahoo.com