Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Almost had a fire

2/22/11 Tuesday
Progress has been made. We now have a bathtub with running water, though the shower head isn’t installed yet. The toilet was moved over to a better spot than I had planned on. I planned on keeping it where it was, just aiming it in a different direction, because there was no way I could mess with the heavy cast iron and also lead pipes that were already in place. Paul, the contractor, however had no problem with that so opted to put the toilet where it would work best. The old toilet Linda had bought leaks and needs a rebuild kit but we can deal with that. Cherie will be so happy when she gets home and a happy Cherie helps make me feel better.

There’s still plenty of work to do so they will be back tomorrow. Paul seems to be quite efficient at what he does and certainly knows more about it than I do. I told him that if he didn’t mind I’d like to take his picture and post his contact info tomorrow. He’s fine with that.

Tonight I plan on clearing out an area so they can get up into the attic, and also laying the Hardy board over where the toilet used to be. As soon as Paul and his helper are done we hope to get the tile laid in the bathroom. I did some tile work for my brother way back when he got me from the hospital after I woke from the coma. I hope I remember what he taught me, but if not I’ll wing it. Gotten pretty good at winging it. Paul said he was impressed with what I had done in the bathroom, especially considering I didn’t know what I was doing to start with.

I went out to where the gophers have invaded the garden with the idea of probing for their tunnels and putting poison down in them. That didn’t work out. It’s been four or five months since we’ve had rain so when I would locate a tunnel, and carefully pull the steel rod out of the ground, sand would just pour into the hole. There’s a chance of rain or drizzle tomorrow so if that happens I’ll try it again for the wet sand won’t run into the hole.

Buddy has me worried. He loves to chase us when we drive off and doesn’t look when he runs across the highway. Paul said he saw him run across the road when the oil company truck pulled in the check the oil well. Sure would hate to bury another dog. It would be sweet if we could afford one of those shock collars to train him with.

It seems that every conversation I have, with Christians who know the bible and keep up with current events, turns to whether or not it’s the last days. The general consensus is that all the signs are lining up and it definitely could be. I am convinced of it personally. Things are happening too fast and too drastically to all just be a coincidence. This increases the urgency we have to build this farm, to create a greenhouse operation that can produce food and medicinal herbs year round.

Last night, at about ten minutes past midnight, I woke up to a strange smell and the sound of something crackling and popping. Couldn’t figure out what it was so turned on the light. Could tell it was coming from under the carpet, right next to where I was laying in the bed, so I pulled the carpet back. Nuts!!! Could see the blue light as sparks snapped feebly on the extension cord that had been laying under the carpet. It seems that one of the dogs, probably Rascal, had decided to pee on the wood floor of the living room. The urine had run down the floor to the edge of the carpet and evidently there was a small crack in the insulation of the extension cord so when the moisture got into the crack it provided a path for the electricity. Good thing I woke up. This had all just started and could well have triggered a fire.

One of the first things we’ll have to do is buy a new seat for the toilet. It’s nice to have a toilet that doesn’t require a bucket of water next to it that you must pour into the bowl when you flush to insure everything goes. I know, these are the mundane details you could well have lived better without knowing, but I have a reason for sharing such things. We watched on GLC about a ministry in Africa where they had to walk through mud mixed with urine and feces in order to get to the church and school. The villagers and children were barefoot or had open sandals on, while the visitors, who were filming this place, wore tall rubber boots to protect their feet. When I see this it helps me understand just how blessed we are.

It may sound strange, but I consider the time I wandered homeless, carrying everything I owned in a garbage bag slung over my shoulders, looking desperately for a safe place to sleep each night, getting napkins from whatever fast food place was near so I could have toilet paper, wondering if I would get a meal, as a blessing. You see, it brings things into perspective. There are some who marvel at the hardships we endure, who can’t imagine ever having to experience such things, but in our worst condition we have more than so many others. I was blessed as I wandered, for even then I had food to eat, and there are many who do not and in fact starve to death daily.

I heard a pastor talking about how someone had a “spirit of poverty” and recounting the tale of how this man, a bank president, would carry his shoes and walk barefoot in order to not wear the shoes down, how he would gather heels of bread from the drug store and skimp on so many things. There’s no question this was extreme behavior but I must wonder what he had seen and endured in life that might have triggered such actions. Odds are he and his family had gone through the great depression or similar hard times. Was this healthy behavior? Probably not but who am I to judge? Some would say that we have a “spirit of poverty” because we are frugal and don’t waste.

If I was a multi millionaire (Understand that at one time, with multiple companies, my net worth was in the millions) I don’t think, or at least hope, that I would spend it on lots of frivolous finery. Odds are I would own a vehicle that had all it’s forward gears working, and would have some nicer things, but I have no use for a big fancy house or a brand new Cadillac. There are so many I know, and so many I know of, who are in dire need. In my reality, God is, and God is a rewarder of those who do good. I was born naked and when I die (again, having already died once) I can’t take anything with me. Will God be impressed with my cars and finery? NO!!! At that moment, when we all will stand before the living God, we will learn what is and isn’t important. The words of Jesus always bring truth. Mathew 6:19 "Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. 20 But store up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where moth and rust do not destroy, and where thieves do not break in and steal. 21 For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.

Like it says on this plaque I carved soon after waking from the coma, “Money and things can vanish in a flash. What has true lasting value, is the lives you touch”

No comments: