Tuesday, April 03, 2007

Trying to beat the heat

(Click to enlarge)

4/3/07 Tuesday
It’s already 11:30. I just came in from working on the garden. Was up and out by 9:00. What’s sad is that for me right now this is early. We’ve both gotten in the habit of staying up late and sleeping in. It’s easy to do when you don’t have to be up any particular time. In Toledo I was up with Cherie at 5:30 in the morning so my body clock had me waking up then even on weekends. We are going to set the alarm to get us up earlier every day. I got out quick to take advantage of the cooler morning weather before it gets up to the eighty five degrees they’ve predicted on TV.

I came in to take the break Cherie says I need to take, and to write this. It is frustrating to me to not see what is directly in front of my face. Here I am cleaning out the henhouse and digging more plant beds, all the while worrying about rabbits and such eating everything that grew up, and in all my trying to figure out how to set the garden up I never thought about this area. It’s already surrounded by fence with chicken wire and sheet metal in place to prevent that.

Unfortunately it is where I had, without any forethought, put the compost pile. That is another experiment that fell flat on it’s face. Tumbleweed don’t compost well. Time to move it out of there and use this area to plant what I most want protected. I’m thinking about screening out the dirt from the sticks and twigs to salvage what I can. So much work but so little of me. Best get out there.

No comments: