Thursday, September 03, 2009

Depression is hard

Depression is hard. I went out and saw so much to do that it just didn’t seem worth it. So I came in. Now I’m going to work on transferring data from Cherie’s computer to mine. I talked to the extension agent and he had some encouraging things to say. It helped just to talk to someone. I really don’t have anyone I can generally talk to about stuff. Oh I’ve got Cherie for sure and she’s a lifeline but other than that no one, not for anything deeper than “How’s the weather”. The extension agent talked to me about the problems with the water in this area and that some farmers, including himself, have much worse water than I. Certain crops, such as cotton, can tolerate the high levels of salts and chlorides, which evidently are a form of salts, better. He did say that the chlorides and salts wash out of the soil when it rains. It just doesn’t rain much. So we shared information and I told him of my hopes and dreams for this place. Then I came home and looked at all there was to do.

But I’m in much better shape than others. A friend of ours down by San Antonio is going through her own hell. She just had a child last month and her husband left her a week or two ago. Plus she just moved onto the land they bought and plan to homestead and is living in a storage container they were converting to a house. So she’s alone with two young daughters, a son, and a newborn baby on an undeveloped farm. Her prize goat just died last night…and on it goes. I’ve got no excuse to be depressed. Not a good one at least. So it’s time to buck up and keep going.

1 comment:

Amy E said...

Don't let the depression get you down. Think baby steps. Do only what you can physically and financially do.

I've learned to collect rain water in rubber maid tubs, and any container I can find...do container gardening or raised beds, forget the fields for now. Plant everything in the raised beds and use the water you collect from the rain. Raised beds don't dry out as fast as the ground, so you'll use less water. Rain is coming your way, so line your eaves with buckets, or set up under your down spouts. Whenever I feel overwhelmed by the amount of land and the amount of work i want to do, I head over to the Path of Freedom website, and get hope again. Start small, stay small, you can do just as much, if not more in a smaller area, because you aren't spreading yourself too thin....