Tuesday, October 20, 2009

A friend died

10/20/09 Tuesday
Yesterday was a roller coaster day with lots of ups and downs. But it ended well and that counts. I got the stove vent hood installed. Cherie is thrilled with it. The old one stuck out and had sharp edges so that, despite being a short person, Cherie had hit her head on it. The new one of course looks better and completes our kitchen renovation though I still have some pieces of trim to put on. We thank our friends who contributed so much to this and are always grateful for their help. Cherie loves the fact that we now have a light over the stove. That helps a lot and it’s nice to be able to see what you’re cooking.

I just learned that my friend, Sonny Gray, died on the 12th of this month. They already had the funeral last week. It’s frustrating to be this far away and out of touch. Someone told my son, Bruce, that I might know a Sonny that died and he just let me know this morning. Sonny was one of the people who responded when ABC ran the “Toledo’s John Doe” news story on me and helped me get off the street by letting me stay there and sleep on his couch. He was an old friend and we’d had lots of good times together. I’ll miss him and had looked forward to visiting the next time I made it to Toledo. We were on a pool league together and shot pool all over the area. Sonny was a biker and belonged to a world I’ve left behind but still miss. He had just gotten a kidney transplant from his brother a couple or three years ago and had been doing well last time I talked with him. I guess it’s a part of getting older that more people we know die. I’ve been to more funerals since I was reunited with Cherie than I can recall for the rest of my life. When I make it to Toledo next time I want to spend more time there, looking up and visiting friends I haven’t seen in years. The last few times we were up there were rushed. I preached my secretaries funeral for one visit and spent the time with her family and the other time we went Cherie and I attended her family reunion so spent time with her family.

So I’ll work around the farm today. Need to buy seed and fertilizer but I need to prepare a place to store it. Plus I still need to figure out what to do with the water system before a freeze comes. I guess that should be first on the list.
It’s 4:46 already. I’ve been busy but can’t think of much I’ve done. I poop scooped, met Cherie for lunch, went shopping for stuff to fix the plumbing, figured out I need to come home and take measurements. Bought Frontline for ticks for the dogs, wrote on the blog and Facebook, read email. Got one from Ron and Paula. They are going to be able to tape some programs for GLC, too cool. Got one from Cecil, who oversees the Christian group that meets at the He Brew coffee house on Illinois Blvd in Midland. I will be giving my testimony there this Friday. Y’all are welcome to come but let me know so we can make sure there’s room and enough food. Starts at 12:00 I think. Food and stuff comes after the prayer and fellowship and my testimony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh Babe-I'm so so sorry! I liked Sonny - he was a pretty cool guy. When he was running ambulances in Temperance, he was the one who rescued Mom when she hit the tree in '99 on Stearns Rd. I remember I had to call him to let him know she was alright. I never connected the dots till after I met him, which was about 2 years after you "came back".